BSA 204 W11 : Supernatural Crime Procedural



I was thinking about making this a later plot progression of I Saw Hell, but yesterday I watched a video about the Hannibal TV series, something I watched as it came out.

This was that video (he's a pretty damn good video essayist who doesn't get the recognition he deserves, especially considering the effort he pours into these vids):



When I saw it I unlocked again my desire to be able to make some kind of crime procedural show, but one where it really plays with what can be done with each episode - like telling each in a different genre.

I was also inspired by one scene in Constantine (2005) of all things, specifically the one where he catches a spider under a glass and the police woman lets it out before leaving the room. It's such a dumb scene and I just remember wondering how she knew there was a spider under it since she didn't enter the room until after he trapped it (and filled the glass with cigarette smoke, saying "welcome to my world" XD), but when I thought this I also though "well she is a detective". At this point I wondered what it would be like if the movie capitilised on the idea of a Sherlock Holmes type detective having to team up with a supernatural detective.

I feel like these are two stereotypes that keep re-appearing in popular media, and yet I can't think of an example where both appear in the same property. Maybe this is because they are usually reserved for leading roles, with the side characters offsetting their overpowered skillset. But I think they compliment eachother well, a supernatural detective is outside the law and doesn't kneel to conventional methods. The Sherlock Holmes type is extremely good at real life things but not familiar with the strange rules of the supernatural world. Sherlock Holmes often cross roads with the supernatural world, but always comes up with a logical explanation and unmasks them, point is the tonal implications are present.

So that is my logline:

A procedural crime show in which a Sherlock Holmes type detective must team up with a Supernatural Investigator to solve a string of cult related murders.

Comments

  1. Have you seen Sherlock Gnomes? It's really good :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts