BSA 325 W14 : Swivel Time



I had access to the camera one lesson  a couple of weeks ago and decided to get footage of people working, I did just that but thought it would be a good idea to get a musical intro - the cheesy kind of thing you'd see in an sit-com opening. Jacqui asked me if I could use music for my next BTS thing after the Upstage edit (which I did deliberately with just natural sound) so I decided I would make something using music to its fullest and so Swivel Time was born:

https://www.facebook.com/neonshrimpproductions/videos/355595278418141/

Jacqui needed something for social media so now I can finally talk about Swivel Time:

The original idea was actually to parody the Hungry Seagull promo video from last year, which seemed kinda depressing, but this time really amp it all the way up, ended up being the complete opposite, what's left of the dark and dreary version I had in my head:


Trying to recreate the Darth Daisy look (not getting very close to replicating it though 😒)


The Hungry Seagull Video: 

It has such a melodramatic tone, would have been great to try and replicate, but this time much more extreme.

But anyway I ended up asking everyone to swivel and point at the camera:

Filming

This was the easiest social media thing to film yet, and probably will be for the foreseeable future. I literally took the camera out, shot people working and talking and then got everyone to swivel on command. Easy, on the spot film-making that shows in the poor quality of the video, but hey! I gots it done.

The only trick in filming was zooming in on the swivel, which had a couple of hiccups but overall adds a lot to how powerful those turns become. 

Editing

This was the trickiest part, but also hella fun. The big change that happened was that I changed it to not be an intro to a video where we work (the working stuff was infinitely more boring than the intro) instead it's just a little, fun promo video in which we all swivel.

Editing with music was great, I used the Fresh Music Library and chose something suitably cheesy, I had to alter the track a bit later on in the video to fit the pacing I was going for (song was much longer than the video itself, and it needs to fade out at the end).

The titles was the most experimental part, Neon Shrimp doesn't really have a set font and I just did some crazy stuff to fit with the music.



Censorship

I had to insert a seizure warning since the opening is a bit too flashy:



Reflection

People responded really well to seeing themselves on screen, I am thinking this is why everyone responded so well to it.


Comments

Popular Posts