BSA 227 W8 : Early VFX Tests



The fire one turned out much worse than the Multiple Matthew but it proved to me that the fire files we have access to would wok for the what I want presented in the film, specifically the torch fire files. These look like they are coming from one round point and work well for fingers.



Issues I faced with the fire is that it cuts off at the top (a feather would help for this), it's colour doesn't fit with the surrounding image making it appear fake and out of place (could be fixed with a grade), my tracking here is rough and needs refining, there is no light reflecting on his face from the flame, this is something I worried about beforehand and going into shooting am not sure if I should emulate fire light or not. The resolution is also different from the rest of the image and will need fixing, I don't know how exactly to do that yet but have mentioned it to Ruby, she will hopefully use her vast and advanced knowledge in compositing to guide me right and not let me falter.

These tests were something I filmed weeks ago but was very apprehensive to actually chuck into AE and start playing with, having done that now I was surprised by how simple and straight forward it was, this fire thing only took like 5 minutes, it looks like shit and has many problems but I am pleased with how quick it was to build a base. This will definitely prove to be more work than some of the other effects in the final film.



The double effect was extremely easy and took all of two minutes, probably less if we're being honest. I think it looks good and works well, this stuff should be no problem in the final film. Having the characters cross over each other and all that noise might prove to be more complicated but there are even tutorials for that. I am going to keep the camera pretty static and try to not have the twins interact physically too much or pass over each other on the screen.

_____________________________

Talked with Ruby about the tests, adding artificial light for the fire might be a good possibility that's what the annoying German guy in the other tutorial did as well:



Adding a glow to it could work, making the opacity up and down over time could be a way to make it flicker. This stuff is just a bit of extra work but definitely adds to selling that the fire is actually there. Ruby mentioned there might be function as well to make something flicker so I'll look into that as well.

Tutorial for Energy Balls which I will need in the last scene:

Comments

Popular Posts