BSA 206 W7 : Anime



We looked at Japanese anime:

We looked at Ukiyo-e, which is an old type of wood art.

Image result for Ukiyo-e

Then we advanced to Manga:

Image result for early manga



Outside of Japan, Manga refers to only comics, Anime is the term used for Animation done in this style. Unfortunately Hentai also exists.

Image result for anime collage

It started with things like Astro-Boy:

Image result for astro boy manga

We looked at a show called Batman Ninja, which is Batman but Anime-ified.



Satoshi Kon:

He is one of the big Japanese Anime directors, being responsible for a lot of very highly acclaimed films like Paprika and Perfect Blue:



He made a show called Paranoia Agent, which is about a serial assaulter of sorts, he attacks people and its a lot about how the case to catch him unfolds. The pink dog thing is something the main character created and which became a cultural phenomenon, but which she can't repeat. I read that on Wikipedia, would like to see it actually.

Image result for paranoia agent

This is one of his most famous films, even I've heard of it. It's about psychologists entering their patients dreams, sounds very fitting for the medium.



We were gonna watch one of his films in class, but apparently it had some sexual violence in it so we can't do that I guess, we instead watched Batman Ninja because its on Netflix.



I didn't know what to think of this thing, it was really weird. I also thought it was a series and not just a feature, it went by very quick, was very weird and I don't know if I actually like the merge of 3D and 2D (it just looked a bit cheap sometimes). You can see the influences from way back to the Ukiyo-e art in this pretty well, but I don't think its my taste for Anime. I've seen a lot of Ghibli movies and definitely prefer that style, the movies feel more focused, human and the pacing is a bit easier to digest. I think that Satoshi Kon's work would be more in line with my tastes.

Comments

Popular Posts