BVA 204 S1W16 : Final Critique



This week we had our final critiques:

I got kinda chewed out for my poor exhibition, which is fair enough, it wasn't very visually stimulating or elegant and made the content very hard to interpret. It's sad because I'm satisfied with the work I ended up doing and it's just the actual exhibiting of it that's put the whole thing down a level or two. The questions people asked made it obvious they didn't really look at it or read any of it - which is fair enough because it looks boring as the beige wall it's presented on.

I could have improved this by doing an animatic, something I wanted to do, but just didn't have the time. I had another idea of how to exhibit it as well, but again didn't have the time to make it a reality (this blog kinda dives into that, not nearly as detailed as it was in mind though: https://bomyburgh2again.blogspot.com/2019/05/bva-203-w14-exhibition-idea.html) but like Bex said in the critique time management doesn't really matter, everyone has those issues.

I guess I just feel a bit lost, because the way it was received was so overly negative whereas I felt like I answered the question I originally posed. I am thinking I just really don't understand this subject, I didn't know the exhibition would be such a large determining factor on whether or not my work is even assessed. I am afraid that because the exhibition was so hard to read that I will fail. My impression of the subject from the beginning was choosing a question you personally want to explore and doing that, then displaying and reporting the results to your peers and the public. I feel I did that, and put a lot of time into the development, seems I should have put more time into how I showed people.

The idea I can think of how I could have fixed it was to install a chair and table where people could comfortably sit and go through the script, oh well in hindsight things seem much clearer, but even with that I was so swamped with work and everyone expecting 100% from me in every part of my life because I'm studying "part time" now.

There's no real fighting the final result, I am just as disappointed in my own exhibition as anyone else could be, it's just kinda shit. It's a weird contrast because I still like the content, a lot and feel like it did what I set out to, but it just looks shit on the wall as it is now. I don't want to look at it and would hate for anyone else to.

The critique was a horrible experience and I tried to act like I don't care, but I really, really do and it was both embarrassing and depressing. I just really hate the project and don't want to look back at it, at the same time if I absolutely had to do it again I would have to make it more legible for people.

I saw the problem coming a mile away and thought about ways to fix it but all I could produce were the shitty storyboards (which took an embarrassingly long time with my retarded drawing ability). The gallery space is made for visual pieces of work and a project based on the use of words and writing doesn't really fit here, no matter how good the ideas might be I seem to be critiqued on how it affects the audience on a visual level. At least Bex did say it was a good idea, so that's a small comfort.

Just hope it doesn't get critiqued too hard on the exhibition, as I still feel my experimentation answered the question I first posed. To me the semester was still a success in my projects' development, it sure doesn't look it on the wall though :/

Everyone else's was really cool and interesting to look at, so it was interesting to see how their ideas developed from infancy to being so presentably complete.

Comments

Popular Posts