BSA 204 W17 : On Ideas and Waiting



So the script that I wrote for The Trial worked out pretty well in my opinion, the weird thing about it was how well it flowed through me after such a long time since I first conceived it (probably more than a year now). The ideas were still all there, I could still see the film in my mind, but recording it was much easier because I didn't worry so much about every single incremental detail as I tend to do with more recent ideas e.g. Burt.

Burt Has a Bone Disease is something that I would love to write now, quickly, and if I forced myself maybe I could. But there is a certain apprehension to doing that, I am afraid things aren't good enough, the lines I do write seem bad and not up to snuff.

This was the case with The Trial as well, a year ago I tried writing it a couple of times but my perfectionism didn't allow that to happen. Going back to it now it was more just remembering and then jotting that down.

I know people like Stephen King leave a first draft for a while before coming back to it later, so the precedent for letting a story rest in your mind - maybe even forgetting about it - is already a reality, maybe to some extent I should do the same. This is of course me speaking from a place where I'm too much of a coward to actually just sit down and force myself through Burt's first draft. The real advice writers give is to force one self through the first draft, I just really, really don't want it to be bad.

I seem to either wait too long before writing something, like a year's worth of procrastination and forgetting, or I write it in a very short amount of time as was the case with SuperDad. I just get bored with one thing too quickly, King is actually a great inspiration to me, he pumps out so many novels so quickly, something that would be heavenly to be able to do with scripts.

Comments

Popular Posts