BSA 227 W15 : Editing and Sound



This week I edited together my footage and had some trouble with sound - in mutliple forms:

The first was that I couldn't locate some files for the scenes I was editing and had to retrieve them from Matthew Butler, who luckily had them as he used the Zoom after me - my film must be blessed.

The second problem is that there is some dialogue I am missing, as well as buzz tracks, these would be easy to get and dub (as the characters speaking are off screen) and all I have to do to fix this is get myself a zoom and get into some sound recording. I have booked one for Monday and will do that in the week.

The third and biggest problem I had was the sound on scene 1 - where we connected the boom straight to the URSA and it fucked our sound by only using one channel - the other channel being dedicated to pure suicide inducing static. During the editing I considered dubbing all of this, but found a more creative and efficient solution: The sound kinda sounded like an old film, since the scene takes place a year before the rest of the events in the film I just put a grade and some scratching/grain on the footage, representing it as more of a flashback. This works for me and will even make the compositing in this scene easier, so a win-win in my book.


The B&W Scene, as well as some of the very basic compositing I've done with masking.


Sam looking intimidating af.


Jean-Martin Fabre, French-Thespian in his cameo.


The ending scene which will require the most compositing, here you can see how the grading between the two don't blend completely, Matt's hand also crosses over himself so need some roto-work, the ghost also needs a special effect and the boom mic comes into frame, but I am thinking of keeping that (its a very easy fix, but I like the idea of the Ghost being aware of the film set). 


This is the rough version I have now, you can see how much compositing, foley and dialogue still needs done. 

Comments

Popular Posts